Thursday, August 1, 2013

Baby Jacob reflection 8: On on the 8th day...

On the seventh day, God rested. On the 8th, he got back to work. Having a baby means no metaphorical seventh day for us. A good night sleep now means three stretches of two hours, but alas Jacob seems to be growing well. 

My unofficial measurement has him a half inch longer than he was at birth. He's looking around a lot. He's taking it all in. He's doing a great job of sleeping through the day when all the visitors are here, but he may be planning a career as Batman because night time is his active time. 

Mom and dad love the visitors but maybe we should accept a few less folks and instead we could sleep in the afternoon. Speaking of our lack of sleep, the only doctor's appointment in the family today was me. I've been fighting a stupid infection for more than a month but it keeps happening so I'm off to an ENT for a followup. So that's exciting. Good news is that baby Jacob and mommy are doing great.

Today's visitors included Grandma Riehle, Grandpa Riehle who brought KFC for dinner and Nana Stegeman who helped calm the little guy during his night time wake cycle. I'm so glad all four of his grandparents are such naturals.

Some old saying from their era was "It takes a village to raise a child" and connotations aside, that's somewhat true. The love and support of our friends, family and a church group full of future friends have been invaluable. I can feel the prayers of everyone helping my stress levels.

On the milk front, we didn't contact the experts yet. That option is still open, but Kelli kept up with production pretty well today. Pray for her stress reduction as well. 

Anywho I'm exhausted but won't be sleeping since Jacob's playing Batman.

I found this while googling patron saint of baby sleep. I guess its St. Peter Damien, who had insomnia. No idea who wrote it, but I found it on Catholic Answers forums.

Dearest St. Peter, put my baby to sleep. His eyes are tired, and we don't want him to weep. He needs to be awake for tomorrow is a new day, and our dear baby will want to go out and play. Give him some rest and give him some peace, so tomorrow he can enjoy life with ease!

1 comment:

  1. You two are doing a beautiful job of parenting! Talk about naturals!!! I so enjoyed sharing your family this evening!

    ReplyDelete