Friday, August 9, 2013

Reflection 12: Ch, ch, ch, changes

So it's been three days or so since the last update. In that time, Jacob started eating again just fine, Kelli came down with mastitis, Grandma Riehle stayed the night while Kelli had a fever and I was at my wits end and I went back to work at Kings Island.

Grandma's stay meant a great night sleep for both mom and dad. She's our hero.

Things are going OK except that Jacob HATES going to bed. First time we put him down between 8-10, he just roars for at least 20 minutes, sometimes longer. There's nothing to be done. If he goes to long Kelli rocks him a bit, if not he will eventually fall asleep.

At the moment, he's screaming his head off again. In fact, it's been almost two hours since his last feeding and he's still roaring. We've checked on him, changed him and rocked him a couple times but still he roars. It USUALLY just happens for this one cycle and then he gets back on track, hopefully it continues.

So leaving for KI this morning was harder than I thought it would be. It was a little like after the honeymoon when I had to leave Kelli for the first time to go to work. I just really didn't want to go. Today was the same kind of thing as I kissed Jacob goodbye, then Kelli.

Once I  got to work, it was business as usual and it was nice to get into a little routine. Jacob is still unpredictable and loud, like every baby ever, but he's adorable and he's ours. We're just starting to learn that life can return in some ways to normal while in other ways it's changed forever. Right now, for example, we're watching Monk on TV, but since Jacob wouldn't stop wailing and its almost feeding time anyway, he's laying on Kelli's chest as I type this. I gotta go feed him soon.

So Kelli got the antibiotics she needs, I got some sleep, work will send a paycheck, and God willing Jacob will go to sleep soon.

Oh, and visitors. JC and Mary stopped by the other day when we took Jacob to the doctor.

Perhaps most excitingly, Mema Stegeman, Jacob's great grandma, got to visit Wednesday. With that moment, and the adorable photo now on facebook, the oldest and youngest people I know were in the same room. Jacob was so calm with her and Mema is still a natural. I'm so glad he got to meet her and I hope she sticks around long enough for him to remember her.

Wednesday night Grandma Riehle stayed over. Thursday Grandpa Riehle brought Arby's for lunch and Friday Nana Stegeman (my mom for those of you keeping track) came over with her friend Di to see the little guy. Nana brought some Graeters.

Anywho, that's the update. Peace out folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment