Saturday, July 27, 2013

Baby Reflections 3: A step in the right direction

So the kid went to the doctor today and to quote Kelli, it was the best $25 we ever spent.

At 9 a.m. today we went to see Dr. Wisenberger at Group Health. (*See below) It was rainy. We were exhausted, emotionally and mentally drained, and quite honestly expecting a trip to Children's hospital when Dr. Wisenberger came in.

He looked him over and asked some questions and said the words we all wanted to hear.

"He's completely healthy."

We both nearly cried, I think.

He wasn't getting enough milk because he was, get this, too hungry to eat well. So we were told to pump some milk and use a bottle. We got him home and low and behold, it worked. He ate plenty. Later while I napped Kelli changed two dirty diapers and later as I assisted with a third, the little scamp peed all over the damn place. I think that's the happiest I'll ever be to see my child urinate on himself.

He's sleeping ok, he's less fussy, and he looks a little less jaundiced I think. We called the doctor back later and he said all seems well and the jaundice is normal. He doesn't think it needs treatment. We're calling him again tomorrow just to check in.


What else. Jacob met great Aunt Debby and great uncle Jerry today and cousins Billy and Sara with their children Patrick and our goddaughter Teresa. They brought some nice gifts and THANK GOD some coffee. I'm eating the lasagna Sara made right now...it is delicious. For lunch we had some pasta Aunt Cari brought over yesterday.

I'm finding that visitors are really a blessing. When someone comes over we get to play the role of proud parent, instead of just worried parent. When its just us, we (or at least I) over analyze every sound and face the little guy makes and get all worked up. The meals, prayers and good wishes from everyone have been a godsend.

Speaking of worked up, I think we're both pretty emotionally drained. After the doctor's appointment we both felt 50 pounds lighter and far less worried, but the last day or two was draining....well the whole four days of his life have been draining, but anyway. Kelli's been a saint, but naturally her hormones have given way to some tears. I've had a few too, if we're being honest.

I just had a weird memory resurface of my anxiety as a child. I remember learning relaxation techniques. Perhaps I'll try them tonight. The best thing I've really found for dealing with the stress however is prayer. When Kelli was in labor on Monday I prayed a rosary in the delivery room. Monday's are the joyful mysteries, which focus on Jesus conception through his being lost at the temple. Reflecting on those mysteries, I remember that even Mary, the Mother of God, must have been a terrible worried new mom at one point.

Sure she knew the kid was special given his conception and her message from the angel, but she also knew a sword would pierce her own soul too. She probably had trouble getting him to eat or sleep on schedule. She definitely worried when he ran off to the Temple. In art, Mary always looks serene and that serenity no doubt comes from her current place in heaven but she couldn't have looked serene with Jesus was sick, or fussy. Well maybe she could, but she's a saint and I'm not. Still it is nice to have the intercession of the Blessed Mother when dealing with a stressful infant. Last night when Jacob was awful fussy, I kneeled at his pack-n-play and with the help of a podcast prayed the rosary. He fell right asleep.

Another great comfort is Jacob's own mother. I love my wife more every time she picks Jacob up, or tells me to calm down, or hugs me as we look at him. Our marriage seems to be getting even stronger thanks to this little bundle of troubling joy and I thank God for that. Single parents must be superheroes.

Anywho, it's nighttime now so he'll get a little fussy again, but all in all he's doing well, and for that I thank God.

*Footnote
I know two visits isn't much but neither Kelli or I are new to Group Health Associates. Essentially, we've always believed they're great pediatricians and terrible adult doctors. The first part of that has been totally reinforced the last two days.

Dr. Maloney and Dr. Wisenberger both went out of their way to make sure we called them to see how Jacob is doing and they didn't say to call or page in an emergency, they said to call either way, and more than once a day even. That kind of commitment is what a new parent needs and so far I highly recommend them for anyone in need of a pediatrician.

No comments:

Post a Comment