Monday, July 30, 2012

Some liberals don't seem to understand what we mean when we say "Biblical definition of marriage"

So as you know I'm a Catholic and that carries with the sterotype that I don't know the Bible. Well, I'll admit I can't quote you much in the line of chapter and verse as many can, but I've read the good book and I've got 9 years of Catholic school and my own scholarship on the matter. I'm not an expert or a minister or any kind, but I'm not totally ignorant of the subject.


So what do I know?

I know that Samuel, Kings and Chronicles all say that a man can take concubines. I know that Genesis, Numbers and Ezra forbid the marriage between a believer and a non-believer. I know that Genesis and Deuteronomy say that bit about a woman having to marry her brother in law if her husband dies.

BUT....

I know that for a whooooole host of reasons, the marriage laws I reference above do not apply to Christians. If you know your Bible and you know Christianity, you know why, if you don't, feel free to look into it. But trust me, they don't. The point of this post isn't to defend that statement, but to show that many are misrepresenting the Christian belief.

The idea that "biblical definition of marriage" means marrying your brother in law when your husband dies, or that a man should be able to take concubines is not a Christian one.

If you're being honest, you know that when a Christian says "biblical definition of marriage" he means the sacrament of marriage that Jesus describes as in the Gospel of Mark: “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’[a] ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[b] and the two will become one flesh.’[c] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

We believe that this plan was evident in the beginning, when God created one man and one woman to start us off, not one man, one woman and his concubines or any other combination, and fulfilled in Christ's teaching.

So stop pretending we don't know the Bible. We do....and one step better that what many online are saying, we actually know what it means.


No comments:

Post a Comment