Friday, June 22, 2012

A breif note on the state of things

My fellow bloggers have the right of it. It is hard to keep blogging during the summer months, but alas I will try to keep up.

Two things I want to reflect on today.

1. Atheist blogger converts to Catholocism

Conversion stories aren't of much use in apologetics if we're being honest.  They can make for good PR sure, but that's about it. You can't show one atheist blogger that another became Catholic and expect it to mean anything, because it doesn't, not really.

But where it does matter, where that PR can be put to good use, is in the trenches pews. Every day Catholics see our once overwhelming influence on society weaken. To be clear, the victim identity we try to take on is usually a false one, but the feeling is very real.

It feels like we're slipping. Like every day less people care. Like every Sunday less people show. The numbers back up some of that.

We try to take comfort in truth, in knowing that we're on the right side, but sometimes that's not really tangible enough to keep us going because of our own weaknesses. So we need a lift.

That story is a lift. I don't think that the self-identifying bisexual former atheist Leah Libresco is going to be leading the parish council anytime soon, and it seems she's got a long way to go to really get in lock step with the faith, but she's made a terribly difficult decision to dive headfirst into the Tiber and swim to the other side.

It's hard to be Catholic. We take a lot of gruff, but for cradle Catholic like me, people tend to let us slide, giving us a break because we're culturally born into it (Though wrongly assuming that's why we're still here.)

It's harder, I believe, to become Catholic, with people questioning how you can join such a maligned institution.

Hardest though, must be what Libresco is going through. Her identity was that of a public, outspoken atheist looking for truth. She found it, and had the courage to follow through. I'll pray for her, and hope anyone reading this will do the same.

2. I've been doing some freelance work
I've written two stories now for The Catholic Telegraph, the diocesan newspaper of Cincinnati, Ohio.

I've learned a lot through both stories, and I've discovered something I assumed to be true really is. I love applying my penchant for writing and experience and skills in journalism to the Church. I'm not volunteering here or being some kind of altruist.

I'm a freelance writer, and I'm paid for my work. But when I'm being paid to cover a high school football game, I'm not sure I can feel like what I'm doing is that important.

But when I'm covering, something like high school football games, I feel often that it isn't something important, or worse, that I'm contributing to the culture's obsession with prep sports.

When, on the other hand, I'm covering a rally for religious freedom, or a World Refugee Day celebration, I feel I'm doing something more important.

I hope these opportunities continue.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you have the ability to appreciate that while the RCC may be in a current state of decline (which is not to say a permanent state), Catholics may overstate the extent of this decline. Speaking as a Catholic, albeit one who has mostly attended Protestant churches the last few years, I think you are exactly right. Also, while the RCC may be losing some numbers, it is gaining in places, like you pointed out in another post, and it's still by far the single largest church in the world.

    ReplyDelete