Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Purpose Driven drive

Some time ago I found myself having been unable to gain a career foothold in Cincinnati, my hometown.

I had returned there after finishing college and holding a nice little job as a sports writer in my adopted home of Portsmouth, Ohio but when my seasonal job expired, I was unemployed.

The Portsmouth newspaper I had left had fallen on some harder times and had an opening for sports editor. I negotiated a pretty decent situation, packed literally everything I owned into my car, and began the 2.5 hour drive from the place I always wanted to be to the place I thought I had left behind.

I was moving down there to live (somewhat illegally) on a buddy's couch in campus housing while I looked for an apartment.

All that back story is to tell you about that drive.

I like to think I'm a fairly introspective person, but never before, or since, have I focused for more than two hours on who I was, what I was going to do with my life, or who I should be than on that drive.

And I didn't come up with a whole lot. I knew I was a good reporter, a solid writer, a fan of sports and an acceptable editor. Seemed to me I was doing what I was born for. But it just didn't feel like it was enough.

I was using my God given talents for what seemed to be their God-given purpose. But on reflection, God didn't likely have a major interest in small town college and high school sports.

Over the next couple of years I stayed in sports but drifted in my interests toward the political or crime news, even serving as interim co-managing editor of the paper for a spell. I was drifting toward a sense of meaning.

I wanted to use my talents for something more than entertainment (sports) and was moving toward educating/informing (news). In the time since I left the paper for essentially a sports pagination/editing job, I've thought that maybe I didn't follow that path as far as I could.

If I had, the next step I think, would be working in the Catholic media. There's no more money (perhaps less even) in that than in traditional media, but there is a purpose. Those in Catholic media, be it print, radio, TV or the internet are a force for the culture of life against the culture of death.

Every day they go to work, whether they're on air talent, a blogger or a call screener, they're doing something active for the Kingdom of God.

I've noticed this more and more since moving to Lexington, Ky. and finding a local catholic station (locals reading this, tune into 1380 AM or 94.9 FM) to listen to. Every day I listen I learn more and grow a little in faith. And for the record most of it's pretty entertaining too.

That's what I want to do. That's who I want to be.

I've not heard a boom voice from heaven tell me what to do. I've not seen a sign in the sky that says what direction to take.

But I don't need that. I need only look to the example seen in Isaiah 6:8

"And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: Whom shall I send? and who shall go for us? And I said: Lo, here am I, send me."

This is not my only blog. I have another where I argue in a never-ending cycle with an atheist and an agnostic. That's fun, and enlightening in it's own way. But this blog, One from the Pews, will be for Catholics by a Catholic.

I don't know if my contribution to Catholic media will ever be more than just a blog in a dark corner of the internet. If it is, that's fine. I'll just try to shine a little light when and where I can.

3 comments:

  1. It seems as though your Christian friends are just as unlikely to enter the discussion on this blog as they are on your other one.

    It's time to face the truth, John. Dungy and I (and for a brief moment, Alex) are your only companions in the bloggerverse. Everyone else is just a figment of your imagination.

    ReplyDelete